Norway’s natural wonders will astound even the most seasoned traveller with incredibly steep fjords of extraordinary beauty, cascading waterfalls down tall mountains and grand glaciers that never melt. Read more...
Norway’s crowning glory is its fjord heartland of Western Norway, a maze of sparkling waterways cutting through stark cliff faces. Many of Norway’s natural wonders have been recognised internationally for their astounding beauty. Take the UNESCO World Heritage Naeroy Fjord, featured on the Norway in a Nutshell fjord tour, where the sheer mountains plunge into the deep sea creating a striking sight no matter the season. There is no better place in the world to do such a fjords cruise, where breathtaking sheer cliffs surround you and sea eagles soar above.
The country’s western coastline hides remote artists communities and quaint medieval towns, while the wildflowers, fishing villages and idyllic islands of southern Norway are a photographer’s dream. Lofoten Archipelago is particularly breathtaking and has been labelled the most beautiful archipelago in the world. The best way to see all the wonders of the coastline is to cruise your way up and down it, on Hurtigruten’s Classic Round Voyage. A Norwegian institution since the 19th century, the Hurtigruten fleet sails the coast 365 days a year and has many exciting shore excursions on offer.
Beyond the Arctic Circle lies a land of forested tundra and snow-clad valleys. It is also the best part of Norway to see the famed Northern Lights, from September to March, dancing across the sky. Our exclusive ‘Chasing the Lights’ escorted small group tour allows you to see the Northern Aurora in all its glory across both Finland and Norway, as well as discover the culture of the indigenous Sami people, enjoy a traditional dog sled ride through the Arctic wilderness, sleep in hotel made of snow and ice, and many more exciting activities.
In the High Arctic region of Svalbard, the landscape is home to some of the most sought after and admired arctic wildlife – polar bears, arctic wolves, and elk to name just a few! A place of adventure and expeditions, test yourself on the largest island of Spitsbergen like a true Arctic pioneer. In the summer months, enjoy nature walks under the Midnight Sun or join a Svalbard tour by sea to spot the King of the Arctic. See whale, walrus and many seals tending their young on the sea ice – a nature lover’s paradise.
The Norwegian way of life is peacefully simple with equality, freedom and a love of waffles at the heart of it. Norway’s major cities offer an array of galleries, museums and gourmet restaurants as well as vibrant cultural experiences. Enjoy an Oslo city tour, a Polar History walk in Tromsø or explore the beautifully preserved port in Bergen.
• Admire the beautiful Norwegian coastline in comfort on a Hurtigruten coastal voyage from Bergen, the gateway to the fjords, to Kirkenes.
• Visit Jotunheimen National Park and enjoy a hike passing through ravine-like valleys and plunging waterfalls leading to glaciers and the country’s best peaks.
• Sit back, relax and admire the stunning scenery as you travel between two of Norway’s major cities on board the Oslo-Bergen railway.
• Norway has some of the best spots for extreme sports, with snow-capped mountains rising directly out of the sea and vertical cliffs upwards of 1000 meters.
• Visit the most northern point of mainland Europe and watch the Midnight Sun dip below the horizon, only to pop back up again shortly after.
• Take the ferry to Lofoten islands, known for excellent fishing and stunning natural attractions.
• Kayak the still water of the north as your surroundings are bathed in gold by the Midnight Sun.
• Enjoy dog-sledding, snow mobile rides, reindeer petting and snow shoeing activities when you visit Kirkenes, right up in the Arctic Circle.
• Enjoy a guided city sightseeing tour of Oslo, taking in Norway’s kooky capital – you might even catch a glimpse of the royal family!